The Sertão, which joins BMW Motorrad’s iconic GS range alongside the popular G 650 GS, is based on the smooth and economical 652cc single-cylinder engine and the same balanced, neutral chassis.
With the addition of a 21″ front wheel, longer-travel suspension and spoked rims to cope with challenging off-road terrain, plus a range of high-specification Factory Fit Options and Accessories as standard – including ABS and heated grips – the G 650 GS has been transformed into an outstanding adventure-sports and off-road motorcycle.
Following the Dakar template, BMW gave the Sertao longer-travel suspension and a 21-inch front wheel for improved off-road abilities. The Showa cartridge fork strokes 8.3 inches, as does the rear axle, controlled by a single Sachs shock with remotely adjustable spring preload. The front and rear travel for the basic G650GS is 6.7 in. and 6.5 in., respectively.
Two-channel ABS is standard. Minor styling changes separate the Sertao from the Dakar, including plastic flank scoops like those on the R1200GS and a redesigned instrument cluster.
On the road the engine proved to be an incredibly flexible unit. It chugs away from as low as 2000rpm without a hiccup from the electronic fuel injection and without any nasty vibrations. It freely revs up to its 7000rpm redline in most of its five gears, but there’s little need to do so – keep it humming in its torquey midrange and all is right with the world.
BMW G 650 GS Sertao Specifications
• High-torque and low-consumption single cylinder engine with 652 cc displacement. Max torque of 60 Nm at 5000 rpm and max output of 35 kW (48 hp) at 6500 rpm. Output reduction to 25 kW (34 hp) available.
• Offroad chassis concept with long spring travels (front/rear 8.267 inches/210 mm).
• Wire spoke wheels with light alloy rims. Wheel sizes 21″ front and 17″ rear.
• Dynamic color concept in Aura White / Arroyo Blue with Sertão lettering and seat in black/gray.
• Luggage carrier in black.
• Extended top front wheel cover.
• Two seat heights: 33.8 inches/860 mm (standard) and 35.4 inches/900 mm (special accessory).
• High windscreen.
• Hand protectors.
• Engine guard of aluminum.
• Disengageable BMW Motorrad ABS (option ex works).
• Extensive range of special accessories.