Aprilia’s updated 2012 Dorsoduro 1200 is currently being put through its paces in the foothills of Mount Etna, Sicily, by MCN Senior Road Tester Adam Child. Dorsoduro 1200 is the benchmark in the maxi motard class. An all-new record breaking twin cylinder powerplant producing an astonishing 130 hp in an incredible light and nimble chassis.
With its sleek forms, broad handlebars, superb attention to detail and premium componentry, this motorcycle represents the zenith of the twin-cylinder maximotard class.
In addition to traction control, the usual Aprilia riding modes are employed to help the rider tame all this V-Twin power. Sport riding mode is fierce and gives instant access to all the bike’s power and beastly throttle response. If you ask me, this mode should really be called pure unadulterated difficult fun mode.
• 90ź V-twin engine with four valves per cylinder, double overhead camshaft, liquid cooling and twin spark ignition
• Triple map Ride by Wire technology (with Sport, Touring and Rain maps)
• Electronic fuel injection
• Mixed gear/chain valve timing system
• Exhaust system with three-way catalytic converter and oxygen sensor
• Ultralight modular frame made from tubular steel trellis / aluminium castings offering outstanding torsional stiffness
• Aluminium saddle mounting
• Aluminium swingarm with lateral shock absorber
• Fully adjustable 43mm upside-down front fork and piggy-back design rear monoshock
• Brembo racing brake system with radial callipers
• Lighter three-spoke alloy wheel rims (-2 kg)